This simple treat is gorgeous served by itself or crushed and sprinkled over top quality vanilla ice cream.
What’s more, it’s easy to make – this recipe requires no sugar thermometer or stopwatch timing. You simply heat up a pot with almonds, sugar and water, let the sugar melt, stir it for a few minutes until the sugar mixture crystallises and then melts again and turn it out on a baking tray to cool.
Seriously – it’s that simple.
This Almond Toffee tastes divine and it makes your house smell simply wonderful.
Sometimes the simple things in life really are the best.
- 200 grams almonds (approx. 1 cup)
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Prepare sugar and water and set aside
- Tip almonds into a small, non-stick saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat for about four minutes, stirring regularly with a wooden spoon.
- Add sugar and water to the saucepan but do not stir.
- Wait until the sugar has melted and crystals begin to form, then start stirring vigorously.
- Continue stirring. The sugar and water mixture will become sand-like and separate from the almonds.
- Continue stirring over a medium heat until the sugar and water mixture finally melts and becomes a lovely toffee glaze.
- Turn heat down to low and continue stirring until all the crystals have dissolved and the almonds are coating in shiny toffee glaze.
- Remove from heat immediately to avoid burning and tip out onto baking paper.
- Let cool at room temperature and then break into small pieces.
- Keeps well in an air-tight container for a week.