This is a fantastic salad for Springtime, showcasing broad beans, which have such a short season, and spring onions, which are at their best right now.
If you’ve never cooked broad beans before never fear. You simply boil the shelled beans for 3-5 minutes and pop them out of their skins. Skinning them doesn’t take long and is surprisingly relaxing, actually – think of it as a form of kitchen yoga
You then toss the skinned beans with fetta, spring onions, roasted almonds, parsley and lemons for a lovely Spring salad.
Easy right? Why not give it a go today?
- 80 grams raw almonds
- 1 kilogram broad beans, making approximately 400 grams unshelled beans
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 spring onions, sliced finely
- 80 grams fetta, crumbled
- A few strands fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Tip almonds onto baking tray and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Once ready, remove tray from oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, shell beans.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil and drop in beans, cooking for 3-5 minutes until tender.
- Drain bean from water and then leave to cool for a few minutes before removing skins by sliding them off.
- In a medium bowl mix almonds, beans, lemon juice, spring onions, fetta, parsley, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Serve at room temperature if possible for the best possible taste.