I rarely buy biscuits nowadays. Seriously, why would I bother when biscuits are so simple to make at home?
This recipe takes probably eight minutes to prepare. You can find eight minutes out of your busy day, can’t you?
This Almond macaroon recipe is simple and makes your home smell wonderful. And the macaroons are fantastic, too – chewy, dense and aromatic.
They’re quite sweet, so I’d allow one to two per person.
Why not give them a go today?
- 2 egg whites
- 120 grams almond meal
- 160 grams caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground rice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence or vanilla bean extract
- 14 whole flaked almonds
- Line two baking trays with baking paper and preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Whisk two eggs with stand or hand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Fold in almond meal, sugar, ground rice and vanilla essence.
- Mix well.
- Using a tablespoon, put 14 heaped spoonfuls of the mixture onto the baking paper. Smooth the tops down slightly and garnish with a whole flaked almond.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then swap trays around in the oven and continue baking for another 15 minutes.
- Turn oven off and leave to cool in oven with oven door wide open for 10 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Remove from baking paper carefully.