Happy New Year, almond lovers!
We’re in them middle of a hot Australian summer and I am melting away.
The sun burns down fiercely every day, scorching my once green lawn and bleaching the outdoors table. My kids spend half their time splashing around in pools and the rest of the time begging for ice cream.
Luckily, I recently bought an ice cream maker so I can make a new batch of ice cream every day.
This gorgeous Mixed Berry & Toasted Almond Ice Cream is really easy to make. It’s a cream and milk based ice cream, not a custard based one, so all you do is mix the ingredients, leave it to sit for a bit and then bung it into the ice cream maker. If you don’t have an ice cream maker you can still make it, too – just simply follow the alternate instructions below.
The berries provide this ice cream with a refreshing tartness while the toasted slivered almonds add an interesting crunch and lovely almond flavour.
Here’s hoping tomorrow’s hot again!
- 300 grams frozen mixed berries, thawed
- ¾ cup full-fat milk
- ½ - ⅔ cup caster sugar, depending on taste
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- 375mls thickened (double) cream
- 60 grams slivered almonds, toasted
- Put the frozen berries into a bowl and roughly mash with a fork.
- In a larger bowl or jug, whisk milk, sugar, salt and vanilla until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in cream, mashed berries and toasted almonds and then cover and refrigerate for a an hour or overnight.
- Turn on your ice cream maker and pour the cream mixture in. Mix until thickened, which may take anywhere from 12-20 minutes depending on your machine.
- Remove to a freezer safe container, cover and then refrigerate for two hours to harden.
- Remove from freeze and stand for 10 minutes before serving.