Sometimes good ideas come to you in random ways.
This salad is a good example of that, having been born out of a seemingly random sequence of thoughts I had that went as follows:
- Bacon – mmmm.
- Oo ooh. I know. Bacon + mushrooms.
- Wait. Mushrooms go really well with Swiss cheese.
- Cheese and Spinach are a great combination.
- Hey, I love spinach salads with orange.
- Oranges and almonds are fantastic together.
And there you have it.
This salad is a great option in this lovely warmer weather. It’s filling enough by itself with bread for a light lunch or makes a substantial side dish to serve with meat or fish. Vegetarians can substitute the bacon with lentils or leave it out altogether.
So next time you have a random thought, pay attention. It could be the start of a beautiful thing.
- 80 grams slivered almonds
- 4 rashers bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for frying
- 2 oranges, peeled and segmented
- 150 grams baby spinach leaves
- 4 large mushrooms, sliced
- 80 grams Swiss Cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil for dressing
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat up a large non-stick frypan.
- Dry fry the slivered almonds (no oil) for a couple of minutes over a high heat until nicely toasted. Remove and set aside.
- In the same frypan, add a tablespoon of oil and then fry the bacon until crisp. Remove and set aside.
- In the same frypan, add the orange segments and fry lightly on either side. Remove and set aside.
- In a serving bowl, add spinach leaves and top with mushrooms, orange, bacon, almonds and cheese.
- Make a dressing by whisking olive oil, red wine vinegar, honey, mustard and salt & pepper. Drizzle over salad and serve immediately.