However, I do find that some leafy salads are not all that filling – I either need to eat a massive amount of them to feel satisfied or I have to serve them as part of a meal. This is no problem when I feel like pottering around the kitchen but some days I just don’t have the time or energy to cook multiple dishes.
This Smoked Trout, Almond & Potato Salad is perfect for those hot days when you want to eat something healthy and substantial but don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. The potatoes ensure that you won’t leave the table hungry while the smoked trout provide protein and flavour. For those in a hurry, the potatoes can be cooked in advance to save time, too.
I like to ramp up the sour factor in this salad and use a whole lemon and a generous tablespoon of mini capers but those with less astringent taste buds can omit the capers and halve the lemon.
If you’re making it in advance, simply make as directed leaving half the herbs and all the almonds out and refrigerate until needed. Just before serving, add the rest of the herbs and the almonds. This way, the almonds stay crisp and crunchy and the just added herbs keep the salad looking fresh and appetising.
- 700 grams potatoes (about 8 medium potatoes), well scrubbed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 smoked trout (about 250 grams)
- 3 radishes, washed and cut into thin half circles.
- Small bunch spring onion, garlic chives and parsley, cut finely
- 1 tablespoons mini capers (optional)
- 4 tablespoons Greek yoghurt
- 80 grams natural sliced almonds
- ½ – 1 lemon
- Black pepper and salt to taste
- Bring a saucepan of water with the salt to boil and drop in potatoes. Simmer until cooked through (about 15 minutes). Remove and refresh in cold water and leave to cool down.
- Peel the skin from the smoked trout and remove fins and bones carefully. Tear into small pieces.
- In a bowl, add the potatoes, trout, radishes, herbs and capers. Spoon over the yoghurt, sprinkle over the almonds and squeeze over the lemon. Mix thoroughly and then add pepper and salt to taste.