Sometimes you need a snack on the go. Maybe you’re running late in the morning or you’ve got a few minutes back at home before heading out again in the evening. Or maybe you just need something in your gym bag that you can eat after a good workout. A full meal is not what’s required here but a healthy snack, something to keep you fuelled up until your next meal.
These Date Protein Balls fit the bill. They’re easy to make and store in the fridge and extremely convenient. You can grab a couple for breakfast as you head out in the morning or pack them in a lunch box to enjoy when you’re out and about. Accompanied by a piece of fruit like a banana or pear, they’ll keep you powering on until your next meal.
I’m made a basic protein ball recipe here with no added sugar but you could also try rolling them in shredded coconut, dried berries, cocoa, crushed banana chips, flaked almonds or crushed pistachios for extra interest. You could even pop them on a stick and dip them in dark chocolate — cake pop style — if you wanted to make them more indulgent. There’s really no bad way to eat these. Enjoy!
- 250 grams raw almonds
- 12 pitted dates
- 60 grams protein powder (vanilla or chocolate flavour)
- 1.5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 0.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3 teaspoons water
- Blend almonds in a food processor until finely ground.
- Add all other ingredients (half of water first) and mix until it starts to come together. Add the rest of the water if the mixture is too dry.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop out the mixture and shape into hazelnut-sized balls with your hands, packing the mixture together firmly.
- This amount will make 13-14 hazelnut sized balls.
- These can be kept covered in the fridge for 3-4 weeks.