Regular readers of Amazing Almonds will know that I love my greens. But as the weather turns cooler in Australia, a regular salad isn’t really enough to satisfy me.
Enter this mouthwatering warm salad of crisp Spanish chorizo, wilted kale and toasted almonds. The strong flavour and saltiness of the chorizo sausage is infused through the slightly bitter kale and blanched almonds, making this dish incredibly satisfying. I like it by itself with a bread roll for lunch or with fried potatoes seasoned with garlic and rosemary and a decadent dessert for dinner.
This is the perfect salad for those people that aren’t overly fond of eating their greens – it tastes so good you’ll forget you’re eating salad. The fact that it has only 5 ingredients and takes less than 10 minutes to prepare and cook is a bonus.
I’ve used a mixture of green and purple kale here but either would be fine. Enjoy!
- 1 teaspoon garlic infused olive oil
- 2 Spanish style chorizos (approx. 250 grams), cut into 0.5cm slices
- 90 grams blanched almonds
- 300 grams washed and trimmed kale (half a bunch, trimmed of stalks and torn roughly into pieces)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- Heat up a large non stick fry pan or work until smoking and then add oil.
- Add chorizo and then cook for a few minutes, turning all the time until nicely browned.
- Remove from pan and set aside. Turn off heat.
- Use a ladle to remove the oil from the pan and reserve. Wipe out the pan with a kitchen towel.
- Heat up pan again and add almonds. Cook until nicely toasted, stirring regularly.
- Remove almonds from pan and set aside.
- Add kale and turn heat up to high. Add one tablespoon of the reserved chorizo oil and the salt and stir regularly for a few minutes until kale has wilted to half its size. Return chorizo and almonds to pan and mix thoroughly until heated through.
- Turn out on plates and serve immediately