On cold and wet mornings I don’t want to get out of bed and neither do my kids. So to encourage all of us I sometimes make us a hot breakfast. A grumpy child becomes amazingly more cooperative when they can smell something tasty cooking in the kitchen.
This Porridge with Apples, Almonds & Cinnamon recipe is perfect for a healthy, quick and easy weekday breakfast for the whole family. You simply cook oats with milk, honey, water, almonds, apple and cinnamon. Too easy, right?
Oats are a low GI food so this filling but low-fat breakfast will keep you powering on until late morning or even lunch.
- ½ cup raw oats
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup water
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and cut into small pieces
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 25 grams raw almonds (about 20 almonds)
- 2 tablespoons honey or 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla bean paste (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium-high heat. Once boiling, turn heat down to low and simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Serve with extra milk and honey so people can adjust to their own taste.