Whenever I cook rice I seem to end up with leftovers. This isn’t a bad thing because then I have half another meal already cooked. Sometimes I use the rice to make Chinese fried rice with onion, bacon, diced vegetables and omelette or salmon fried rice with salmon, onion, ginger and soy sauce. Other times I’ll just freeze the leftover rice to use for another day.
This Spinach Almond Rice is a great dish for using up leftover rice and it takes no time at all to cook. You simply cook some garlic and onions, then add the spinach, left over rice and seasoning. Garnished with flaked almonds and served with a lemon wedge that’s dinner done in a flash.
This type of dish is what I crave in this cooler weather – it’s nourishing, warming and filling. You can serve it as is for a simple vegetarian meal for two, or as a side dish to chicken or fish, in which case it will feed three to four people.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 2 cups cooked rice, cooked (long grain for preference)
- 200 grams spinach, pureed (frozen or fresh)
- 1 tablespoon mint, finely chopped (can substitute 1 teaspoon mint sauce or jelly at a pinch)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 80 grams flaked almonds
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Heat up a large fry pan and then add olive oil.
- Add onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes to soft but don’t let it brown or burn.
- Add rice and stir to coat with the oil.
- Add spinach, mint, cinnamon and salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Cook, stirring regularly until spinach is cooked and rice is heated through.
- Garnish with flaked almonds and serve with lemon wedges.