Another cool Winter’s day and another hearty meal for dinner.
This Moroccan Rice Pilaf is flavoured with cumin, coriander, sultanas and tomato paste, giving it a rich and savoury flavour that goes well with grilled lamb chops or marinated chicken fillets. The plump sultanas add some honeyed sweetness while the almonds provide flavour, texture, and crunch.
If you’d like to add a vegetable dish, steamed green beans dressed with olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper would be a perfect accompaniment. That’s dinner done with no fuss and little mess. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and diced
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 60 grams sultanas
- 100 grams flaked almonds
- Fresh coriander to garnish
- Heat up large fry pan and then add oil.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger and fry for a couple of minutes over low heat until softening.
- Add rice, cumin and coriander and mix well. Cook for 3-4 minutes over medium heat, stirring regularly.
- Add tomato paste, stock, water and sultanas.
- Bring to the boil and then cover with a lid and cook over low heat for 20-25 minutes.
- Fluff up rice and garnish with almonds and coriander.
- Serve with lamb chops, steak or fish.