Looking for a comforting, easy dessert? This Bread & Butter Pudding oozes comfort. It also oozes lovely eggy custard that has soaked into the croissants and raisin bread and lightly caramelised in the oven.
Add some vanilla ice cream (or rum and raisin), whipped cream or custard and you’ll have your dinner guests singing your praises. After they’ve asked for a second serving of course.
- 3 large croissants plus three slices raisin bread
- 2 tablespoons sultanas
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 100 grams caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 400 mls full fat milk
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius (160 degrees if fan forced).
- Tear the croissants and raising bread into small pieces and put into a oven proof dish until dish is comfortably full.
- Garnish with sultanas and almonds.
- Put the sugar and water into a small saucepan and mix to combine. Bring to the boil and then let it bubble away for about five minutes on a medium heat to caramelise - once it changes colour from clear to a dark orange-brown it is ready.
- Turn heat down to low and then whisk in milk, beaten eggs and vanilla essence.
- Pour over croissants and bread and then leave to stand for 10 minutes so the bread absorbs the liquid.
- Bake in oven for about 30 minutes or until pudding is nicely browned on top.
- Serve with ice cream, cream or custard.