How do you like the new-look Amazing Almonds site? Nice, huh?
I can’t wait to share all my latest almond recipes with you. First up is this gorgeous Quinoa, Almond and Pomegranate Salad inspired by the grain salad at the Hellenic Republic restaurant in Melbourne. I’ve never actually eaten it there but my friend has and I recently tried her home-made version of it.
I was immediately intrigued when I saw her salad because it’s such a colourful dish. I tasted it and was hooked by the lovely Middle Eastern flavours. So I had a play and came up with this recipe.
The original recipe is based on freekah but I’ve used quinoa here instead. Apart from being a gluten-free grain, quinoa is something of a super-food, containing high levels of protein, fibre, magnesium and B2.
While salads are usually low-fat and healthy they can leave you feeling less than satisfied. This salad, however, is filling and sustaining, as well as being good for you. So why not give it a go today?
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 5 tablespoons raw almonds
- 1 can lentils
- ½ cup sultanas
- 1 bunch coriander (roots, leaves and stems), chopped
- ½ bunch parsley (leaves and stems), chopped
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 5 tablespoons mixed sunflower seeds (pepitas), sunflower kernels and pine nuts OR an equivalent variation e.g. 3 tablespoons pepitas and 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons baby capers
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (best quality)
- Salt (salt flakes, preferably) to taste
- 1 pomegranate, deseeded, to serve
- Bring 2 cups water and 1 cup quinoa to the boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes until water is fully absorbed. Turn off heat and leave to cool.
- Mix the yoghurt, ground cumin and honey in a small bowl until combined and then refrigerate until needed.
- Toast almonds in a dry (no oil) fry pan for a few minutes and then cool. Bash into small pieces with a mortar and pestle (or cut into small pieces with a large knife) and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, place the quinoa, almonds, coriander, parsley, red onion, lentils, capers, sultanas, lemon juice and olive oil. Mix well and season with salt flakes to taste.
- Spoon salad into serving dish and dollop over cumin yoghurt. Garnish with pomegranate seeds.