When it’s warm the thought of spending a long time in the kitchen doesn’t appeal at all, does it? So my Summer menus focus on making simple, delicious food, fast.
This recipe wins on all fronts – the smoked ocean trout is full-flavoured, the orange and grapefruit is refreshingly acidic, the almonds add flavour, texture and crunch and the tangy dill yoghurt dip is simply heavenly dribbled over the lot. It’s such a cheerful, vibrant-coloured salad, too.
Accompanied by some toasted sourdough bread, this Smoked Trout, Citrus and Almond Salad would be perfect for a light lunch. Alternatively, you could serve it as it is for the first course as a dinner party. Quantities can easily be doubled or multiplied for groups as well.
- ⅔ cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 ruby grapefruit
- 1 orange
- 80 grams mixed lettuce leaves
- 100 grams smoked ocean trout
- 1 lime or lemon, cut into wedges
- 100 grams flaked almonds
- Make the dressing by mixing the yoghurt, dill, capers, lemon juice and salt and pepper in small bowl. Separate into two small serving bowls and refrigerate until needed.
- Using a sharp knife, cut off skin from grapefruit and orange and cut into thick, even slices.
- On a plate, arrange a stack of alternating grapefruit and orange slices, the dressing, a handful of salad leaves and half of the smoked ocean trout.
- Add lemon or lime wedges and then garnish with flaked almonds
Gluten and meat free