Have you ever tried using rosewater in desserts? I’ve used rosewater before when I’ve made Middle Eastern inspired cakes, drinks and pavlovas and the scent and flavour of rosewater is simply gorgeous. So when I was thinking about baking some almond biscuits for this site I decided to experiment by adding a little rosewater.
Did it work? Oh, yes!
These Rosewater Almond Biscuits are fragrant, chewy and gluten-free. They make a lovely mid-morning or mid-afternoon treat, or you could serve them with coffee and tea after dinner. For those who haven’t cooked with rosewater before, don’t worry: the rosewater is a hint rather than a screech. When cooking with rosewater a little goes a long way so do keep to the suggested quantities though.
The scattered dried rose petals are optional but they do make a lovely touch when you’re serving these to guests. You can buy food-grade rose petals at speciality food stores, gourmet shops or online. If you grow your own roses (and don’t use pesticide) you could of course make your own dried rose petals. Actually, fresh rose petals would be lovely, too.
Either way you serve these biscuits, I do hope you enjoy them.
- 1 egg white
- ⅓ cup caster sugar
- 1 cup almond meal
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean essence
- ½ teaspoon rosewater essence
- ¾ cup sliced almond
- Food grade rose petals to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Beat egg white with hand or stand mixer until soft peaks form and then add sugar. Beat again until meringue is thick and shiny.
- Add almond meal, coconut, vanilla and rosewater and beat for one more minute until combined.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop out the mixture and roll it into small balls. Flatten them slightly, decorate with flaked almonds and then place them on the baking tray.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until edges are browning (oven times vary so try cutting biscuit in half first to see if it is cooked through).
- Leave to cool and then serve with scattered dried rose petals.
Gluten, dairy and meat free
Suitable for vegetarians