Quinoa is a fantastic, gluten-free super-food that is both high in protein and low in fat. It is commonly used in desserts and salads, or as an alternative to rice.
However, quinoa also makes a tasty and filling gluten-free porridge that is perfect for the cooler weather. It’s ready in a flash, too, making it a convenient option for those mornings when you are racing out the door. With this in your stomach, you’ll be able to power on easily until late morning.
If you don’t have any raspberries you can substitute other fruit; strawberries, blueberries, apples, pears, bananas or stone fruit would also be great. Alternatively, a handful of dried fruit could be added to the porridge for the last two minutes of cooking. Of course if you’re lactose intolerant use soy, almond or goat’s milk instead.
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup quinoa flakes
- ½ cup milk (cow’s, soy, almond or other)
- 12 raspberries, halved or quartered
- Honey (can substitute with carob syrup, golden syrup or rice malt syrup)
- ⅓ cup raw almonds, crushed with a mortar and pestle or chopped roughly with a heavy knife
- Bring water to boil and add quinoa flakes.
- Over low flame cook gently for three minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Ladle into two bowls and add a splash of milk.
- Garnish with berries, honey and almonds.
Gluten, dairy and refined sugar-free
Low in fat