One thing I find tricky about Winter is how quickly it gets dark in the late afternoon. By the time it’s dinnertime it’s dark and cold and all I want do is eat something warm, hearty and comforting.
I love making crumbles for dessert during Winter because I can quickly throw a crumble together while I’m cooking dinner, put it in the oven and by the time I’ve eaten my dinner, it’s ready to eat. Crumbles make the house smell wonderful while they bake, too.
This Berry and Almond Crumble couldn’t really be any simpler. Use fresh or frozen fruit for the base and top with a crumble mixture made in 30 seconds with the help of a processor. Sprinkle with some sugar and some flaked or natural sliced almonds and that’s it.
Delicious, real food, fast. Why not give it a go today?
- 500 grams mixed or frozen berries (use thawed)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean essence
- 75 grams unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 140 grams (1 cup) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 120 grams flaked and/or natural sliced almonds
- 75 grams Demerara or brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Place berries into a suitable baking container so that they come up to ⅔rds of the way.
- Pour over vanilla and stir to combine.
- Place butter, flour and baking powder in a processor and blitz until the mixture resembles fine sand.
- Sprinkle crumble mixture over berries, and then scatter over almonds.
- Sprinkle over sugar (use fingers) and then bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Let rest for 10 minutes and then serve with vanilla ice cream or cream.