I have to admit that I only ate my first Bliss Ball (date, almond and coconut ball) two years ago. Back then, you’d only find them in vegetarian cafes and health food shops.
In more recent times, they’re been popping up all over the place, both on the internet and in markets and hipster cafes. But when you find Bliss Balls at your local supermarket you know it’s a trend that has most definitely hit the mainstream.
This is partly due no doubt to the growing popularity of raw, vegetarian, vegan, grain-free, dairy-free, Paleo and sugar-free diets. But Bliss Balls are not just for popular amongst health-conscious folk and gym regulars: they’re also a handy and healthy snack for parents on the run or busy professionals.
For this recipe, I’ve added orange, vanilla and cinnamon to the standard almond, date and coconut combination with spectacular results. Orange is a well known mood enhancer and these balls certainly put us in a good mood whilst also providing us with healthy fuel to keep us powering on through the day.
Six ingredients + 10 minutes = healthy snacking for a week. These are great for after school time, a post-workout snack or for morning or afternoon tea. Enjoy!
- 1.5 cups raw or roasted almonds
- 10 large dates
- Juice and zest of 1 small orange
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup shredded or desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean essence
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and blitz for a minute or two until mixture resembles rough sand.
- Scrape down the sides as necessary.
- Scoop out spoonfuls and then use your hands to mould into a walnut sized ball.
- Cover and refrigerate until needed.
Gluten, dairy and refined-sugar free.
Suitable for vegans.