The blossoms appearing on fruit and almond trees right now are a welcome reminder that Spring is just around the corner. It’s been a long, cold Winter in Australia this year so I can’t wait for the warmer weather.
With the imminent season change, I’m paying close attention to my wardrobe and diet. It’s time to throw off the thick layers and start dressing and eating in a lighter way.
That doesn’t mean giving up healthy desserts, of course. This Strawberry and Almond cake is both gluten and refined-sugar free, so you can have your cake and eat it, too. It’s also quick and simple to prepare, making it a great option for a weeknight or last-minute dessert.
Now I’ve deliberately kept the amount of sweetness low so if you have a sweet tooth you may want to drizzle over some extra honey before serving it. Alternatively, you could serve it with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 75 grams melted butter
- 4 tablespoons (60mls) honey, plus another tablespoon (15 mls)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean essence
- Pinch salt
- 1 punnet (250 grams strawberries), washed, hulled and sliced
- 30 grams flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and grease and line a cake tin (20 cm) with baking paper.
- In a mixing bowl, beat almond meal, baking powder, eggs, butter, honey, vanilla and salt until well combined (3 minutes).
- Spread evenly over the bottom of the cake tin and then arrange strawberry slices on top.
- Garnish with flaked almonds and then drizzle over remaining tablespoon of honey.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean and then leave to cool completely before removing from the cake tin.
- Serve with fresh strawberries and cream.