I love eating healthy food so I’m always coming up with new salad recipes. However, this Chickpea, Avocado and Almond Salad is an adaption of recipe I’ve been making for almost 20 years. Wow! That makes me feel old!
Chickpeas are a great and inexpensive way to add some protein to a meal. I love their mild nutty flavour, too. The avocado provides essential healthy fats while the alfalfa is a excellent, nutrient-dense superfood. Fresh salad leaves, natural sliced almonds and a tangy lemon dressing, round off a salad that can be made in a few minutes and happily trotted out for a quick meal.
This salad is so quick to prepare that you could even make it at work and eat it for lunch as I have done. I simply took the ingredients along with me in the morning, stored them in the office fridge and then assembled the salad on the spot. It took no time at all to make and it sure beat a limp sandwich!
This Chickpea, Avocado and Almond Salad also makes a great dish to take along to a friend’s house as it can be eaten by most people: it is free of gluten, dairy and refined sugar and is also suitable for vegans and vegetarians. As avocado quickly goes brown once opened, it’s best to make this salad up on the spot. The dressing can be made up in advance, however, and taken along in a small jar or container.
- 100 grams mixed lettuce leaves
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 avocado, halved, peeled, stone and sliced
- ¼ small onion, diced (optional)
- 20 grams alfafa sprouts
- 30 grams natural sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Assemble lettuce leaves, chickpeas, avoca, onion and alfalfa in a suitable bowl or bowls.
- Garnish with almonds.
- Make up dressing by whisking olive oil, lemon and salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Dress salad and then serve immediately.