Low GI cereal or toasted granola with fresh fruit is my go-to breakfast on weekdays – it’s healthy, filling and quick.
Making your own toasted granola is really easy – if you can stir some ingredients in a bowl and then chuck them in the oven on a baking tray you can make this. It’s strangely addictive, too, as there are an infinite number of variations you can make using different nuts, fruits, seeds, spices and flavours.
Love dried apricots? Add dried apricots. Mad about pepitas (sunflower seeds)? Add pepitas. It really is that simple – just keep to the approximate ingredient proportions in the recipe and you should be fine.
I’ve served the Toasted Almond Granola with only milk here but you could add yoghurt, diced apple or pear, sliced banana or fresh berries, too.
I suggest baking a batch of this granola on a Sunday and then storing it in a jar – that’s your healthy breakfast sorted for the next week. This granola also makes a great snack to take to the office to munch on when hunger strikes or to give to a lucky friend as a gif as I did.
Later that day I received a text from him as follows: “What is this brown stuff called again? It’s absolutely delicious. Can I have the recipe?”
I allowed myself a quiet moment of pride then. Try it yourself and feel the same satisfaction that comes from making something delicious.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup natural almonds
- 1 cup pistachios in shell, shelled
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup roasted coconut pieces
- ⅔ cup neutral vegetable oil (e.g. sunflower)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white, beaten with a fork
- 1 cup diced, mixed dried fruit (I used dried cranberries, blueberries and plums)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix all of the ingredients bar the dried fruit in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Tip mixture onto the baking tray and stir to evenly distribute.
- Bake for 30 minutes and then check colour. If it's a nice toasted colour you can take it out then, otherwise leave it for another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove tray from oven and stir in dried fruit until thoroughly combined.
- Leave to cool and then store in an air-tight container (a large jar is ideal).