I’ve previously blogged Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets made with almond meal that proved to be hugely popular with both kids and adults alike. They’re so much better for you than shop bought nuggets, too, as they don’t contain any hidden nasties.
I was thinking about making these again the other day when I got to thinking: what if I made a spicy version of these nuggets for adults? From such random thoughts this deliciousness was born.
You can serve these Spicy Chicken Nuggets as they are or with some tangy lime or lemon wedges and let people squeeze them over the nuggets themselves. Either way, they are very more-sh so don’t count on leftovers.
- 400 grams chicken thighs, cut into small, even pieces
- ⅓ cup flour (gluten free or regular)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons water
- 180 grams almond meal
- 1 teaspoon extra hot cayanne pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoons salt
- Enough oil to cover the bottom of your fry pan adequately, around 5 tableapoons
- 1 lemon or lime (optional)
- Place chicken pieces and flour in clean sandwich or plastic bag, close and shake vigorously, so that the chicken is coated evenly.
- Place two bowls and a plate on the table.
- Mix the beaten egg and water in the first bowl and place the almond meal in the second bowl.
- Dip each floured piece of chicken into the egg mixture and then roll it in the almond meal. Repeat until finished.
- Line a plate with two sheets of kitchen paper.
- Heat up a large fry pan over your largest burner or stove top and pour in the oil.
- Wait until the oil is almost smoking and then quickly drop in chicken, working from the outside of the pan to the middle.
- Immediately turn heat down and let fry over a low heat.
- Cook for around 3-5 minutes each side, depending on thickness, until cooked through. Turn regularly to prevent burning.
- Remove to lined plate, blot to remove excess oil and then serve immediately.
Serves 3 as part of a main meal or 6 as a snack.