I love my greens. When I’m feeling run down and about to get a cold, I make a huge bowl of freshly steamed broccoli, broccolini or Brussels sprouts with butter and Maldon salt flakes. It’s comforting and nutritious and I feel satisfyingly virtuous.
Recently I dined at a lovely restaurant and the Chef served his greens with black garlic aioli and toasted flaked almonds. It was an astonishingly good dish – it was so simple and yet so well balanced in terms of flavours and textures. So I had to come home and create this dish, inspired by his.
A word on ingredients. In terms of greens, you can use any combination of broccoli, broccolini, green string beans, snow peas and Brussels sprouts. Just remember to adjust the cooking time accordingly and place vegetables in the boiling water according to their required cooking. Overcooked greens are a crime so do make sure your greens are cooked al dente, retaining some bite to them: refreshing them in cold water when they’re ready will stop the cooking process and help ensure they don’t over-cook.
Now most people don’t have black garlic kicking around in their larder so I’ve used regular white garlic here. Different varieties of garlic vary in terms of strength so you can always add a few bulbs first, taste, and then add more to your liking. Enjoy!
- 800 grams assorted greens, trimmed
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- 2 egg yolks
- ½-3/4 teaspoon salt flakes
- 1 cup good quality olive oil
- 100 grams almond flakes
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and then drop in greens, cooking over medium heat until cooked through but still retaining some bite. Cooking times will vary according to the greens you choose. Drain greens and then refresh with cold water.
- In a food processor blend garlic, egg yolks and salt until well combined. Slowly pour in olive oil while processor is running to create the aioli and then mix for a couple of minutes - it should thicken. If it doesn't give it another minute or two.
- To serve arrange greens in a deep bowl and dribble over aioli. Garnish with almond flakes and serve immediately.
- Serves 4-6 as side dish.