The weather has turned colder in Australia and the nights are getting shorter. With Autumn well and truly underway, my food thoughts turn to soups, stew, curries, crumbles and pie. Food at this time of the year is all about warmth and comfort: no one wants to eat a salad when it’s raining and windy!
One of the simplest desserts you can throw together with zero preparation is baked fruit. I use whatever fruit I have at home at the time — peaches, plums, apples, pears, banana, nectarines, or berries for example — and either make a crumble (aka this gluten-free Apple Raspberry Crumble) as a topping or leave the fruit as is and simply sprinkle over some form of sweetener and vanilla bean essence and some form of slivered or roughly chopped nut. Stick the fruit in a hot oven (200 degrees Celsius) when you are sitting down to dinner and that’s dessert done with no fuss and little mess.
For this gluten, dairy and refined sugar-free dish I’ve used white peaches and assorted berries with slivered almonds. It literally took me three minutes to make and then another 18 minutes to bake in the oven for a lovely, warming dessert that my kids could’t get enough off.
Got three minutes? Of course you do. You can totally make this and when you do, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Bon appetit!
- 3 peaches
- 1 punnet fresh berries (any kind) or 200 grams frozen berries
- 100 grams slivered almonds
- 1.5 tablespoons Vino Cotto (concentrated wine juice), honey or rice malt syrup
- ⅔ teaspoon vanilla bean essence
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Stone peaches and slice into six pieces and then arrange in an appropriate dish so the fruit fits snugly.
- Arrange berries and almonds on top and then sprinkle over sweetener and vanilla.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve as is or with cream, ice cream or a dairy-free substitute.