When I was a little girl my parents cooked dinner every night except Fridays, which was reserved for takeaway or eating out. Sometimes we visited a Chinese restaurant and on special occasions my brother and I were allowed to order dessert: I always chose bananas fritters or fried ice cream.
Now that I’m older I can see how wise I was: when dining out you should always order dishes that you (or your parents) would never cook yourself and these deep-fried desserts just weren’t on the menu at home.
Nowadays these types of desserts are sadly out of fashion because they’re not the healthiest. But they are awesome desserts, which is why I was determined to come up with a new and improved version of banana fritters that was easy enough to do any night of the week.
This Almond Crusted Fried Bananas certainly fit the bill. Coated in gluten-free almond crumbs rather than batter, the bananas are pan-fried, rather than deep-fried. I prefer pan-frying to deep-frying as it’s lower in fat and I never know what to do with the leftover oil.
I’ve served the bananas with excellent salted caramel bought from a local dessert bar, toasted almonds and good quality vanilla ice cream. You could also substitute thick, Greek-style yoghurt or whipped coconut cream (chill the canned coconut cream in the refrigerator overnight to ensure that it whips stiff) for a healthier alternative.
The combination of soft, warm bananas, vanilla ice cream and caramel evoke all the best memories of my childhood visits to our favourite Chinese restaurant and yet this dish can be made almost effortlessly at home. Just the way I like it. Enjoy!
- 50 grams flaked almonds
- 2 large bananas
- 1 egg, beaten
- ⅓ grams almond meal
- 1 banana
- 1 tablespoon neutral flavoured vegetable oil
- 2 large scoops vanilla ice cream
- 2-4 tablesoons salted caramel sauce
- Toast almond flakes by dry frying (i.e. no oil) in a hot fry pan until lightly brown but not burnt.
- Sprinkle almond meal onto a small plate.
- Peel bananas and cut into three pieces. Dip into beaten egg and then shake off excess. Roll in almond meal and place on a clean plate.
- Heat up fry pan and add oil.
- Gently fry bananas over a medium heat turning as little as possible until heated through (3-4 minutes each side).
- To serve put bananas in a small bowl and top with ice cream, sauce and almonds.
- Eat immediately. You’re not going to want to wait for this one.