During a hot summer there’s nothing better than a salad for a quick and easy meal.
While berries are in season it makes sense to use them as often as possible. This combination — strawberries, blueberries, brie and almonds — may seem unusual but the salty cheese and the sweet berries go together well, while the almonds provide substance and texture. It’s all brought together with a simple red wine vinegar dressing and some parsley and mint.
You could serve this salad with some barbecued meat, some sweet potato and sweet corn fritters or simply by itself with some good bread and butter. Either way, a few minutes is all it takes to have a lovely dish on the table.
Too easy. Just the way summer cooking should be.
- 150 grams mixed lettuce leaves, washed and spun dry
- 1 punnet blueberries, washed
- 1 punnet strawberries washed and hulled (if desired)
- A few sprigs parsley
- A few sprigs mint
- 1 125grams Brie cheese, sliced into small triangles
- 1 tablespoon top quality olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Drizzle honey (1/2 teaspoon)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Place first six ingredients in a serving bowl and arrange attractively.
- Make dressing by mixing all other ingredients in small cup until thoroughly blended and then dribble over salad.
- Serve immediately and toss at the table.