Love the combination of oranges and almonds? This delightful Almond & Orange biscuit is chewy and full of flavour. They’re so pretty, too, with the orange zest peeking randomly through the dough. I love them with a cup of Lady Grey tea, a variation of Earl Grey tea that has bergamot oil and orange and lemon peel in it.
As with all baking, cooking times will vary from oven to oven so do keep an eye on them. The biscuits are ready when they’re golden brown and they feel firm to touch (they will give a little).
Store them in an airtight container and they’ll keep happily for up to a week. I wouldn’t count on them lasting that long though.
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup caster sugar
- Zest of one orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon rice malt syrup (can substitute with honey)
- Whole almond flakes to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Ceslius and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Whip egg whites until they form soft peaks.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and beat until well combined.
- Scoop out walnut sized balls of mixture and roll between your palms until they form a neat ball.
- Place on the baking paper and flatter slightly with your palm before garnishing with a whole almond flake.
- Repeat until all the mixture is used up.
- Bake for 15 minutes and then swap trays around in the oven and continue baking for another 10-15 minutes until tops are golden brown.
- Turn oven off and leave to cool in oven with oven door wide open for 10 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Remove from baking paper carefully with a silicon spatula.